If you’re a fan of crispy orange chicken from Chinese take-out restaurants then you are going to simply love this healthier at-home version. While traditional orange chicken dishes taste great they are filled with gluten, sugar, soy and unhealthy fats that cause weight gain. Not a good thing when you are trying to get fit and healthy!
This version is much healthier so you can enjoy the flavors you love without any of the guilt.
This dish is really quick to throw together for a weeknight dinner and tastes so good you won’t believe it’s healthy. As a bonus you won’t get that big belly ache like with the take-out version. Enjoy!
What You Need
½cup orange juice concentrate (no sugar added)
3 Tablespoons coconut aminos
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Zest from one orange
3 cloves garlic, minced
Dash red pepper flakes
2 packets Stevia
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thigh, cut into bite sized pieces
Dash salt and pepper
Dash granulated onion
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 green onions, chopped
1. Combine the orange juice concentrate, coconut aminos, olive oil, orange zest, red pepper flakes and Stevia in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil on medium-high.
3. Generously season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and granulated onion. Add chicken to hot skillet and brown on all sides.
4. When chicken is almost fully cooked, add the orange sauce, stirring to coat all of the chicken. Cook, uncovered, simmering the sauce until thickened and fully sticking to the chicken.
5. Garnish with sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onion.
One serving equals 282 calories, 12g fat, 505mg sodium, 12g carbs, 1g fiber, 35g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!
Owner and Lead Personal Trainer at Perfect Fit Wellness Center.